2010 Home Tour
2010 OOCCL Fall Home Tour Nets $26,000.00
PDF Print E-mail



While all the numbers are not quite in, it appears OOCCL will net aproximately $26,000.00 on the 2010 Fall Home Tour.  This figure is up around 100% from last year.

Special thank yous to:
Michele Cox - Tour Chair
Judi Glazer - Home Selection Chair
John Stolly - Media Chair
Sherry Peel - Liasion Chair
Phil Perry - Pre-tour party
Lanny Solly - Volunteer Chair
Randy Mills - Treasurer
and Lybo Buchanan, JD Jasso, David Cooper and Phil Leven.  As well as all our volunteers and sponsors.  And a special thanks to all our homeowners who opened their homes to us and all of Oak Cliff.

Vicki would be pleased

 

 
2010 Fall Home Tour Preview IV
PDF Print E-mail

Fall Home Tour Preview IV
Cliff Temple
Dallas Land and Loan



Cliff Temple Baptist Church, first known as Central Baptist Church, was formed by the merger of two other churches and organized on December 31, 1911. In 1923, new minister Dr. Wallace Bassett changed the name to Cliff Temple; “Cliff” for Oak Cliff and “Temple” for house of worship. Bassett went on to lead the church for 50 years, longer than any other figure in its history, until he retired in 1966. Dr. Brent MacDougal became the current pastor in June 2010.

After 20 years in the 1911 structure, ground was broken on a new sanctuary in 1938. Designed by architects T.J. Galbraith and Harry Brownson, the new sanctuary was constructed in the collegiate Gothic style with brown brick and white stone exterior trim. It was designed to hold 2300, was air-conditioned and fireproof. Galbraith also did the Winnetka Congregational Church on 12th and Windomere and the Hall of State at Fair Park.




It would be the 6th church building at Tenth and Zang, raising the value of the congregation’s block to $500,000. When ground was broken on March 6, 1938 in conjunction with Bassett’s 20th year anniversary leading the church, estimates put the cost at $100,000. Rushed to completion for Bassett’s 21st anniversary in March of 1939, the final cost was $150,000.

In 1939, Cliff Temple boasted 6000 members, was the second largest church in the Southern Baptist denomination and one of the largest religious groups in the world. Cliff Temple was one of 23 churches that once lined Tenth St. So many it was mentioned in Ripley’s Believe It or Not as “Church” Street, known for having more churches than any other street in America.  Only 6 of those churches remain after the demolition of Oak Cliff Christian this week.  Due to its superb acoustics and prior to the completion of the Myerson Symphony Hall in 1990, the Dallas Symphony Orchestra used the sanctuary for recording.



 

 
2010 Fall Home Tour Preview III
PDF Print E-mail



This home is an example of an architectural renovation and addition that strived to preserve the mid-century character of the original house. Built in 1951 on one-third of an acre adjacent to the Stevens Park Golf Course, the original house was 1,800 square-feet. The owners purchased this property and the adjacent property in 2004.

Their concept was to add a second structure on the south side of the property that mirrored the original, and connect both structures with a contemporary-styled box. Their architectural plan called for generous wall space to house a future art collection, ample room to entertain, outdoor views, and a design conducive to indoor/outdoor living.

 
2010 Fall Home Tour Preview II
PDF Print E-mail



Second in a series of 3 previews of properties on the 2010 Home Tour.

The Old Oak Cliff Conservation League Fall Home Tour
Kessler Park

This three-bedroom, two-bath home is located in the beautifully wooded Kessler Park-Sam Dealey Estates neighborhood. The
Austin stone home was built in 1950, and is best described as a “contemporary cottage.” The current homeowners have been renovating/remodeling the home since 2004 and have given it a well-designed 1940-50s look with modern comforts. Artwork from local artists and eclectic furnishings may be found throughout.

Guests entering the living room are greeted by a floor-to-ceiling, multi-colored, stacked-stone fireplace and original hardwood flooring. The adjoining dining room has a complementary wall covered with the same stone. A circular, recessed ceiling was also added above the dining room table to accommodate a large chandelier. The designer kitchen has slate flooring, warm cherry wood cabinetry, a glass subway-tiled back-splash, stainless-steel appliances, and a countertop composite of quartz, glass and mirror.

 
2010 Fall Home Tour Preview I
PDF Print E-mail



First in a series of 3 previews of properties on the 2010 Home Tour.

Old Oak Cliff Conservation League Fall Home Tour
Lake Cliff Historic District

This stunning home is a beautifully designed example of an Arts and Crafts bungalow, and is a perfect example of how a new home can be designed to blend with an existing neighborhood - in this case the  Lake Cliff Historic District in north Oak Cliff.  
Winner of the Preservation Dallas Award for Best New Construction in an Historic District, the home features formal living and dining rooms, a family room, a library/study, 3 bedrooms, and 3 baths.  Beautiful hardwood floors and Arts and Crafts trim work are featured throughout.  The master bedroom has a view of downtown Dallas.  
 

 
<< Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>
Page 1 of 2