Submit Your Thoughts About Oak Cliff Christian Church
PDF Print E-mail



Amy Cowan, of Kings Hwy Conservation District, has graciously volunteered to organize residents' thoughts about Oak Cliff Christian into a binder.  Once complete, they will be presented as evidence in the case, or to our elected officials or the media.... or all of these things.

Put your feelings into words about why you think Oak Cliff Christian should not be demolished and what Oak Cliff loses when we lose structures like this and send it to Amy here via email or mail it to her at 821 N. Windomere 75208.

Deadline for inclusion is February 1st. 
 
Update on Oak Cliff Christian...
PDF Print E-mail



On Thursday January 21st, past president John McCall Jr. flied suit on behalf of the Old Oak Cliff Conservation League to halt the demolition of Oak Cliff Christian Church.  District Judge Martin Hoffman of the 68th court gave DISD till January 29th to supply OOCCL with financial records.  Were any federal funding to be used in this project, it would kick in Section 106 of the National Historic Trust Act. 

The head of any Federal agency having direct or indirect jurisdiction over a proposed Federal or federally assisted undertaking in any State and the head of any Federal department or independent agency having authority to license any undertaking shall, prior to the approval of the expenditure of any Federal funds on the undertaking or prior to the issuance of any license, as the case may be, take into account the effect of the undertaking on any district, site, building, structure, or object that is included in or eligible for inclusion in the National Register. The head of any such Federal agency shall afford the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation established under Title II of this Act a reasonable opportunity to comment with regard to such undertaking.
 
 
Oak Park Estates Expands Boundries
PDF Print E-mail


Oak Park Estates Neighborhood Association has expanded its boundaries, effective November 19, 2009, by voting to annex the additional “revisions” of the subdivision that are located on the south side of Five Mile Creek from the original Oak Park Estates neighborhood, established in 1955 on the north side of the creek. Oak Park Estates, phases 1 and 2 were built on the north side of Five Mile Creek between 1955 and the early 1960’s, with boundaries of Kiest Blvd to the north, W. Pentagon Pkwy to the south, Rugged Dr. to the west and Navajo Dr. to the east.

 
Legacies Article - Road to Glory, Tenth St. Becomes Church St.
PDF Print E-mail

Printed with permission from Rene Schmidt, author

Tenth Street in Dallas was once known as Church Street, holding the record in Ripley’s Believe It or Not for having more churches per mile on a street than any other place in the world.  It was the Road to Glory as Tenth Street, a quiet residential street during the week, became a busy, crowded Road to Salvation on Sundays. Many factors contributed to the metamorphosis of Tenth Street into Church Street: the inherited vision of Thomas Marsalis’s spiritual utopia in Oak Cliff, the development of Jefferson as a commercial hub, and the easy and convenient transportation provided by the streetcar.

Tenth Street ultimately met its demise as Church Street in the later years of the twentieth century. After World War II, the sale of alcohol was banned in Oak Cliff, changes in zoning took place, and the automobile culture was born. No one single element destroyed the Avenue of Churches, but all these factors together created a Pandora’s box that once opened, destroyed the community’s fabric.  


More

 


 
<< Start < Prev 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 Next > End >>
Page 64 of 83