5. 500 N. Ewing - J.G. Davis c.1910
PDF Print E-mail
 

500 N. Ewing was built in 1910 by J.G. Davis.  The Davis's moved from 201 Jefferson. Davis was in the cattle business.  J.G. Davis was a member of the Oak Cliff Council at the time Dallas annexed Oak Cliff in 1903.  Davis was one of many that petitioned lawmakers in Austin to force Dallas to abide by term of the referendum placed before voters at the time of annexation and to force Dallas to do what it had agreed to.  Mainly at issue was the matter of saloons.  Dallas had them and Oak Cliff didn't want them.  Also there were certain civic investments that Dallas promised with regards to newly built schools.

Dallas enforced a poll tax at the objection of the anti-annexationists resulting in a final vote for the annexation of Oak Cliff

201 For
183 Against
with a difference of 18
 
4. 1045 N. Zang Blvd. - Zang's Storefront c.1914
PDF Print E-mail


J.F. Zang completed his 2-story triangular 70x30x70 brick veneer storefront at 1045 Zang Blvd. in 1914 for $3000. Zang was a prominent Oak Cliff developer and civic leader. He had just finished leading the charge to complete the Houston St. Viaduct in 1912 and was grand marshal of the parade across the bridge celebrating its completion.
 
3. 635 N. Zang - Mayor George Sergeant's Home c.1910
PDF Print E-mail




 635 N. Zang was constructed in 1910 by George Sergeant. Sergeant was a Fifth Circuit Court Justice and former Dallas Mayor. Sergeant served only a short time as mayor, from 1935-1937, but he presided over arguably one of Dallas’s most ambitious endeavors ever – the 1936 Texas Centennial. Sergeant became known as the Centennial Mayor. He had a hand in bringing the Centennial to Dallas. Both San Antonio and Houston had also competed to host the event.
 
2. Lancaster Avenue Commercial National Register Historic District c.1910-1944
PDF Print E-mail
 
Construction date of remaining structures 1920-1944


The Lancaster Avenue Commercial Historic District is in the western section of the original township of Oak Cliff, dedicated on October 31, 1887. Roughly bounded by E. Jefferson Boulevard, S. Marsalis, E. 10th Street, E. 9th Street, and N. Lancaster Avenue. The original district was a three block J-shaped area along N. Lancaster and E. Jefferson Boulevard.  It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1994. 

LANCASTER AVENUE COMMERCIAL DISTRICT NATIONAL REGISTER DESIGNATION REPORT



Founders built a streetcar line linking Oak Cliff with downtown Dallas, which ran southeast along Jefferson Boulevard, passing Lancaster Avenue and the Historic District. One of Oak Cliff’s first buildings was a station house for the light rail near the intersection of Lancaster Avenue and 10th Street. Lancaster was an important north-south route, and the intersection at Jefferson became a bustling commercial district to support commuters.
 
<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next > End >>
Page 6 of 85