2014 Home Tour Sponsorship Information
PDF Print E-mail
Below are our Sponsorship Rates for 2014.  Discounts available for Sponsors that have their money in by July 31!  We're lining up some amazing houses this year.  It is going to be an incredible tour!

 
 
Oak Cliff National Register Historic Districts
PDF Print E-mail
 
Oak Cliff National Register Historic Districts starting clockwise at the far upper left hand corner are Kessler Park, Miller-Stemmons, Lake Cliff, Tenth Street, Lancaster Commercial, Bishop Arts, Winnetka Heights, Rosemont Addition and Kings Hwy.

There are two historic classifications that an area can be awarded: the National Register is a Federal program administrered by the Department of Interior and managed by the state primarily for the purpose of Federal Tax Credits.  The Second is the local City of Dallas Historic Landmark program.  This also comes with tax incentives but also has the strictest rules regarding demolition.  Restriction of the demolition of historic properties only comes with local historick landmark designation... period.  

Of the above districts, only Winnetka, Lake Cliff and Tenth St. carry this stricter interpretation.  Kings Hwy, Bishop Arts. and Kessler are Conservation Districts which encourage saving structures but do not out right forbid demolition. 


 
10. McKinney Lamar Viaduct / Continental Viaduct c.1931
PDF Print E-mail
 

Completed in 1931, the McKinney-Lamar (Continental) Viaduct was one of 4 vehicular bridges created in the early 1930's to alleviate traffic and congestion to and from Oak Cliff.  It also provided routes free from worry of flooding from the Trinity River.  Before the completion of the 4 viaducts, the Houston viaduct served as the sole secure connection to and from Dallas.  The other bridges along with a streetcar viaduct were at Commerce, Cadiz and Corinth.  A $6,950,000 bond issue was approved by voters on 3 April 1928, which provided for the construction of the bridges. 


 
9. Kovandovitch Concrete House - 523 Eads c.1914
PDF Print E-mail


At the edge of "The Bottom" neighborhood, near Townview Center and the Trinity River, and visible from the I-35 Horseshoe construction site, sits a 100-year old concrete ruin and Dallas Landmark. This Villa with Greek and Italian architectural details was designed and built in 1914 by a Czech immigrant, Joseph Kovandovitch who arrived in the U.S. when he was fifteen. He chose the bluff overlooking downtown long before 1959 construction of R.L. Thornton Freeway, because it allowed views of the growing Dallas skyline. The site was also located near stops for the Dallas Consolidated Street Railway and a suburban line of the Southern Traction Company, providing Kovandovitch with commuting opportunities to a downtown café he owned and operated.




This was the second concrete home built by and lived in by Mr. Kovandovitch and his family. Self-educated and intrigued with cast-in-place concrete construction, he built the first solid-concrete house in Dallas. The prototype structure on Ross Avenue, between Field and Akard, was a 2-story addition to a frame house; said to have been inspired by buildings of Pompeii. Kovandovitch began construction in 1907 with concrete purchased from the brand new Southwestern States Portland Cement Company in West Dallas. The front of the house was partly demolished in 1930 for the widening of Ross, and completely demolished in 1972.

 
<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next > End >>
Page 5 of 86