3. 635 N. Zang - Mayor George Sergeant's Home c.1910
PDF Print E-mail




 635 N. Zang was constructed in 1910 by George Sergeant. Sergeant was a Fifth Circuit Court Justice and former Dallas Mayor. Sergeant served only a short time as mayor, from 1935-1937, but he presided over arguably one of Dallas’s most ambitious endeavors ever – the 1936 Texas Centennial. Sergeant became known as the Centennial Mayor. He had a hand in bringing the Centennial to Dallas. Both San Antonio and Houston had also competed to host the event.
 
2. Lancaster Avenue Commercial National Register Historic District c.1910-1944
PDF Print E-mail
 
Construction date of remaining structures 1920-1944


The Lancaster Avenue Commercial Historic District is in the western section of the original township of Oak Cliff, dedicated on October 31, 1887. Roughly bounded by E. Jefferson Boulevard, S. Marsalis, E. 10th Street, E. 9th Street, and N. Lancaster Avenue. The original district was a three block J-shaped area along N. Lancaster and E. Jefferson Boulevard.  It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1994. 

LANCASTER AVENUE COMMERCIAL DISTRICT NATIONAL REGISTER DESIGNATION REPORT



Founders built a streetcar line linking Oak Cliff with downtown Dallas, which ran southeast along Jefferson Boulevard, passing Lancaster Avenue and the Historic District. One of Oak Cliff’s first buildings was a station house for the light rail near the intersection of Lancaster Avenue and 10th Street. Lancaster was an important north-south route, and the intersection at Jefferson became a bustling commercial district to support commuters.
 
1. Oak Cliff Pump Station at Oak Farms Dairy c.1913
PDF Print E-mail
DALLAS MORNING NEWS  - ROY APPLETON - JUNE 9, 2014
Oak Cliff Advocate - RACHEL STONE

NOTE:  OOCCL has released this entry a week early so the Pump Station will have ah opportunity to be a part of development plans for the site.





In 1927 Southland Ice, on the corner of 12th and Edgefield, started selling milk, bread, cigarettes and canned goods off their dock during the winter when demand for ice was low. That is where 7-11 was born. Jodie Thompson grew the business steadily. In 1928 they began selling gasoline, in 1933 they added beer, in 1935 milk was introduced in a paper carton and in 1936 Thompson founded Oak Farms Dairy to supply his stores with milk. It was located at 1411 Lancaster Rd.




In the sprawling Oak Farms factory complex overlooking downtown Dallas rests a little known historical treasure – the Oak Cliff Pumping Station. Built in 1913 for $20,000, the pump house was one of a collection of pump houses that supplied residents of Dallas with drinking water.

  
Interior from the Dallas Morning News
 
Architecture at Risk Revisited
PDF Print E-mail
    1. Historic Alamo Courts Signage   

It's a story everyone knows.  

1. Owner demolishes aging motor court for future development and promises the preservation community to preserve the iconic sign on the property.

2. Owner begins floating ideas about moving the sign off the property and the preservation community, the public and the press reminds him he would not.

3. Owner says he will salvage the sign rather than preserve it and scatter it's parts across the development which in effect would destroy the sign.

All of Oak Cliff wants to support the Sylvan/Thirty development and wants it to succeed.  Much of Oak Cliff wants the Alamo sign preserved, in itact and on the historic roadway.  

There is still time to do the right thing and listen to the wishes of the community and have a happy ending.

The beautiful sign is imprisoned only a few blocks away.

If you'd like to talk to the owner of the sign you can do so at  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
or his agent at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it



 
<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next > End >>
Page 4 of 83